Bitcoin Poses No Threat to Russia’s Financial System, Will Not Be Banned
Bitcoin currently poses no risk to the Russian financial system, the country’s deputy finance minister Alexei Moiseev said.
According to TASS, Russia’s Finance Ministry, earlier known for its efforts to ban bitcoin, is now adopting a wait-and-see approach with the cryptocurrency.
“All of this does not pose much of a danger to the public, as it has not taken on a mass character that could pose a threat to our financial system right nowâ€¦ In the future, it could possibly emerge given that it is not regulated,” Moiseev said earlier this week.
Last summer the Ministry said it was going to allow Russia’s residents to buy cryptocurrency for the purpose of reselling, exchanging, and using outside the country. The same proposal suggested mining would be considered issuance of currency, and therefore banned.
Even though presently there are no visible threats from cryptocurrencies, Moiseev concedes such threats could appear in the future.
â€śSo far, we decided just to watch carefully how it is developing. We decided that the Central Bank and the Federal Financial Monitoring Service should monitor cryptocurrency for Russia’s economic security. So far, these agencies believe that there is nothing critical in it,’ he said.
More notably, the much-publicized and long-deliberated bitcoin ban by the Bank of Russia will not be pursued any longer, the bank’s deputy chairwoman Olga Skorobogatova revealed.
Russian authorities have treated the Bitcoin phenomenon with caution, while Russia’s Central Bank has received a number of proposals for creating a Russian national cryptocurrency.
- No Western Cryptography – FSB Wants to Introduce ‘Russian Algorithms’ in the International Blockchain Standard
- Scandal-ridden Russian Entrepreneur to Open a Bitcoin Store for the Rich
- National Bank of Ukraine Struggles to Clarify Bitcoin’s Legal Status as Mining Farms in Kyiv Raided by Police
- Russian Minister Compares Cryptocurrencies to Ponzi Schemes
- Waves Platform Strikes Strategic Partnership with Gazprombank Digital
- Russian National Settlement Depository to Develop Digital Assets Platform
- Russia’s Bitcoin Advocate Says There Is No Sense to Adopt Cryptocurrency Legislation that Would Hinder Businesses
- Russia Might Use Japan’s Experience in Cryptocurrency Regulation