Bitfinex Halts Operations Due to Security Issues: $65 Million Stolen
Popular crypto-exchange Bitfinex has announced on Tuesday, August 2 that it halts all operations as a critical security issue has been discovered.
Bitfinex Security Breech: https://t.co/9Y56DYoSDn
— Bitfinex (@bitfinex) August 2, 2016
The exchange’s specialists are studying the problem, however, it is already known that about $65 million worth of bitcoins has been stolen from the exchange, according to company’s representative Zane Tackett.
Bitfinex.com will not become operational as long as the investigation is ongoing, and the security level has been restored. The exchange’s administration has informed law enforcement of the incident.
Marginal positions will be reopened once the losses are assessed for reimbursement purposes. All settlements will be conducted at current market prices effective at 6.00 PM UTC. The exchange will consider several options of reimbursing its clients for the stolen bitcoins. The administration noted that the incident involves only bitcoin wallets, leaving other tokens untouched.
The halting at Bitfinex might have affected abrupt cheapening of bitcoin. Whereas the cryptocurrency was traded at around $600 yesterday, its exchange rate at the moment of publication stands at around $555.
This July, Bitfinex experienced similar problems, also resulting in abrupt cheapening of Bitcoin.
Notably, Mark Karpeles of MtGox has publicly announced he did not hack Bitfinex:
Just for the record let me say that I have nothing to do with what happened to @bitfinex
— Mark Karpelès (@MagicalTux) August 2, 2016
Subscribe to our Newsletter<
- Ethereum Classic Developers Hope to Get a Full Picture of a Potential 51% Attack Soon
- New Evidence Suggests Tether Has the Billions It Claimed – Report
- Crypto Exchange Kraken Considers Private Listing at $4B Valuation – Report
- Binance Adds Support for Circle’s USDC Stablecoin
- OKCoin Launches in Latin America with Fiat-to-Crypto Trading for the Argentine Peso
- Bitstamp Insists Things Remain the Same After the Exchange is Acquired by a Belgian Investment Firm
- P2P Exchange Hodl Hodl Enables 2 out of 3 Multisig Contracts
- Price of Tether USDT Plummets to 18-Month Low as OKEx Adds Four Stable Coins