Bitfinex Publishes a Plan for the Exchange’s Revival
Cryptocurrency exchange Bitfinex plans to gradually recover access for users in the wake of a hack and theft of 120k BTC.
The exchange’s administration has reiterated its statement that the team is working on reviving all functions. Currently, users may check their balance, however, trading, withdrawal and depositing are not available as for now.
â€śWe are continuing to investigate the hack and cooperating with authorities and the top blockchain analytic companies in the space to track the stolen bitcoins. In the meantime, we have been working on getting the platform up and running on a secure instance so that users can log in and see if their accounts have been affected as well as the state of their positions and orders,â€ť the team’s statement reads.
The exchange has also published the exchange rate for marginal positions once the exchange goes live again. It will comprise $604.06/1 BTC, and $10.19/1 ETH. All transactions and open orders processed at the moment of the attack have been cancelled.
Unfortunately, Bitfinex did not specify how it intends to reimburse the users. Still, the company’s representative Zane Tackett is expected to make an expanded statement as to the current state of affairs.
Bitfinex was hacked August 2. The attack resulted in the loss of around 120,000 BTC, which in its turn resulted in abrupt cheapening of Bitcoin to $549.41.
Subscribe to our Newsletter<
- Price of Tether USDT Plummets to 18-Month Low as OKEx Adds Four Stable Coins
- Nearly $1 Billion Stolen in Crypto Hacks in 2018
- BitGo Boosted by Approval to Become a Regulated Cryptocurrency Custodian
- Jameson Lopp: Bitcoin Users are Their Own Worst Enemies in Terms Of Security
- Ukrainian Hackers Stole $50 Million in Bitcoins Using ‘Poison’ Google Ads
- Bisq Co-Founder Chris Beams: There’s a Fundamental and Ultimately Fatal Flaw In the Centralized Cryptocurrency Exchange Model
- Exclusive: Bitfinex Reveals Who Is Behind the Exchange Insolvency Rumors
- Could Mt Gox Repeat Be Real, or Why Bitcoin is Trading at Hefty Premium on Bitfinex